The Counting Actors Project is managed by Bay Area actor Valerie Weak, and began in June 2011 on her own blog. Works by Women San Francisco began hosting the project in February 2014. The archive of all past posts can be found here.
General information about the project, as well as selection criteria for shows and a show submission form are here.
July’s count includes 13 shows, bringing the total shows counted by the project to 774 shows.
Here are the stats:
Playwrights = 19; 7 women and 12 men
Directors = 17; 6 women and 11 men.
Union Actors = 43; 19 women and 24 men.
Non-Union Actors = 56; 25 women and 31 men.
Total Actors = 99; 44 women and 55 men; 43 Union and 56 Non Union; 96 Local and 3 Non-Local.
Shows included in the July count:
- Adventures in Tech (with Pillow Talk on the Side (PianoFight)
- Abominable (Symmetry Theatre and Playground)
- Value over Replacement (Playground and VOR productions)
- City of Angels (SF Playhouse) Note: Male director, male music director, 3 male writers – 1 book, 1 lyrics, 1 music
- The Wild Party (San Jose Stage) Note: male director, female music director, book/music/lyrics one male writer
- Rose in America (Alter Theater)
- Stale Magnolias: The Musical (Oasis) Note: male director, male music director, 2 male writers – 1 book/lyrics, 1 music, all 6 characters are female though majority of cast are male actors in drag
- Fences (California Shakespeare Theater) Note: 2 child actors alternate the role of Raynell and are both counted here
- Confessions of a Catholic Child (The Exit)
- Low Hanging Fruit (Three Girls Theater)
- Grand Concourse (Shotgun Players)
- Schooled! (San Francisco Mime Troupe) Note: male director, male music director, 4 writers: 1 male 1 female book, 1 male music/lyrics 1 male additional music. Director and music director are also part of writing team. One female actor played male role, a Donald Trump type villain
- The Box (Sliver of Light/Each One Reach One) Note: I was an actor in this production
Thank you so very much to the audience members, cast, playwrights, theater staff and production team members who used the Counting Actors form to contribute show info this month, including Matt Weimer, Evelyn Jean Pine, Tiiu Rebane, Alicia Coombes, Megan Trout, Livia de Marchi, Elizabeth Appell, and Carol Lashof.
Please share these numbers with your colleagues and use them to start conversations on a break at rehearsal, the bar after the show, or in the lobby before they open the house. If you’re seeing or working on a show with August performances, go here to learn how to share the info with the project. It’s a quick and easy form that takes less than five minutes to fill out!
Want some bigger picture info? On April 28, 2015 as part of the international celebration of Support Women Artists Now Day/SWAN Day, the Counting Actors project released ‘Not Even, A Gender Analysis of 500 San Francisco/Bay Area Theatrical Productions 2011-2014 from the Counting Actors Project’.
An article about the report, including links to report graphics, key findings and raw data, can be found here. Please read and share the report as well.
This report was commissioned by WomenArts, a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing the visibility and employment of women artists in all art forms. As part of its mission, WomenArts maintains a Women’s Employment in the Arts webpage, which has links to studies of women’s employment in various art forms.
Statistics for August will go up between September 1st and September 5th.