The Counting Actors Project is managed by Bay Area actor Valerie Weak, and began in June 2011 on her own blog. Works by Women San Francisco began hosting the project in February 2014. The archive of all past posts can be found here.
General information about the project, as well as selection criteria for shows and a show submission form are here.
January’s count includes 9 shows, bringing the total shows counted by the project to 700 shows.
Here are the stats:
Playwrights = 11; 7 women and 4 men.
Directors = 9; 2 women and 7 men.
Union Actors = 14; 6 women and 8 men.
Non-Union Actors = 35; 16 women and 19 men.
Total Actors = 49: 22 women and 27 men; 14 Union and 35 Non Union; 43 Local and 6 Non-Local.
Shows included in the January count:
- The Mousetrap (Shotgun Players)
- Diary of Anne Frank (Ross Valley Players) Note: this script has 3 writers – 2 w, 1 m. It is the updated version that includes additional diary writings and survivor testimony.
- Of Serpents and Sea Spray (Custom Made Theatre Company)
- Satchmo at the Waldorf (American Conservatory Theater)
- Gospel of Loving Kindness (Ubuntu Theater Project)
- Gem of the Ocean (Marin Theatre Company)
- The Mountaintop (Pear Theatre)
- Tigers Be Still (City Lights Theater Company)
- The Nether (SF Playhouse) Note: this show has 2 young female actors who alternate the role of Iris. Both are included in this count.
Thank you so very much to the audience members and cast members who used the Counting Actors form to contribute show info this month, including Sofia Ahmad, MaryAnn Rogers, Dana Harrison, Tiiu Rebane, Marissa Skudlarek, Mick Mize, David Moore, Matt Weimer, and Kristen Brownstone.
Please share these numbers with your colleagues and use them to start conversations whether that’s in an online theater chat group, an audition waiting room, or the line for the restroom at intermission. If you’re seeing or working on a show with February performances, go here to learn how to share the info with the project. It’s a quick and easy form that takes less than five minutes to fill out!
Want some bigger picture info? On April 28, 2015 as part of this year’s international celebration of Support Women Artists Now Day/SWAN Day, the Counting Actors project released ‘Not Even, A Gender Analysis of 500 San Francisco/Bay Area Theatrical Productions 2011-2014 from the Counting Actors Project’.
An article about the report, including links to report graphics, key findings and raw data, can be found here. Please read and share the report as well.
This report was commissioned by WomenArts, a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing the visibility and employment of women artists in all art forms. As part of its mission, WomenArts maintains a Women’s Employment in the Arts webpage, which has links to studies of women’s employment in various art forms.
Statistics for February will go up between March 1st and March 5th.