The Counting Actors Project is managed by Bay Area actor Valerie Weak, and began in June 2011 on her own blog. Works by Women San Francisco began hosting the project in February 2014. The archive of all past posts can be found here.
General information about the project, as well as selection criteria for shows and a show submission form are here.
November’s count includes 11 shows, bringing the total shows counted by the project to 682 shows.
Here are the stats:
Playwrights = 19; 8 women and 11 men.
Directors = 16; 9 women and 7 men.
Union Actors = 28; 11 women and 17 men.
Non-Union Actors = 68; 37 women and 31 men.
Total Actors = 96: 48 women and 48 men; 28 Union and 68 Non Union; 78 Local and 18 Non-Local.
Shows included in the November count:
- Bright Half Life (Magic Theatre)
- The Kid Thing (New Conservatory Theatre Center)
- Peter Pan (Berkeley Playhouse) Note: male director and male music director; 2 female writers (lyrics/additional lyrics) and 4 male writers (script, music, additional lyrics, additional music); 2 swings not included in actor count; cast includes student actors who are double cast and all counted. Female actors played Lost Boys and Pirates and of course, Peter Pan.
- Monster Builder (Aurora Theatre Company)
- The Tempest (California Shakespeare Theater) Note: Prospero, Trinculo, Gonzalo all played by female actors; male musician not included in this count. Also, this production is part of the ‘All the Bay’s a Stage’ touring program of Cal Shakes’ Triangle Lab.
- In Love and Warcraft (Custom Made Theatre Company)
- Stage Kiss (San Francisco Playhouse) Note: 4 non-union understudies 2m 2f not included in this count.
- Pirates of Penzance (Berkeley Repertory Theatre) Note: male/female co-director; female music director; team of 2 male writers.
- My Manana Comes (Marin Theatre Company)
- Disgraced (Berkeley Repertory Theatre)
- Love’s Labours’ Lost (Douglas Morrisson Theatre) Note: This is a musical adapted from the Shakespeare play. Female director, 2 Male music directors, 3 male writers – 1 music/lyrics, 1 book, 1 book adaptation.
Thank you so very much to the audience members, cast members, directors and theater staff who used the Counting Actors form to contribute show info this month, including Matt Weimer, Brenda Weak, Kirsten Brandt, Regina Morones, Amanda Farbstein, Carol Lashof and Tiiu Rebane.
Please share these numbers with your colleagues and use them to start conversations whether that’s in an online theater chat group, an audition waiting room, or the line for the restroom at intermission. If you’re seeing or working on a show with December performances, go here to learn how to share the info with the project. It’s a quick and easy form that takes less than five minutes to fill out!
Want some bigger picture info? On April 28, 2015 as part of this year’s international celebration of Support Women Artists Now Day/SWAN Day, the Counting Actors project released ‘Not Even, A Gender Analysis of 500 San Francisco/Bay Area Theatrical Productions 2011-2014 from the Counting Actors Project’.
An article about the report, including links to report graphics, key findings and raw data, can be found here. Please read and share the report as well.
This report was commissioned by WomenArts, a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing the visibility and employment of women artists in all art forms. As part of its mission, WomenArts maintains a Women’s Employment in the Arts webpage, which has links to studies of women’s employment in various art forms.
Statistics for December will go up between January 1st and January 5th.