The Counting Actors Project is managed by Bay Area actor Valerie Weak, and began in June 2011 on her own blog. Works by Women San Francisco began hosting the project in February 2014. The archive of all past posts can be found here.
General information about the project, as well as selection criteria for shows and a show submission form are here.
Playwrights = 23; 11 women and 12 men.
Directors = 21; 10 women and 11 men.
Union Actors = 52; 23 women and 29 men.
Non-Union Actors = 74; 32 women and 42 men.
Total Actors = 126: 55 women and 71 men; 52 Union and 74 Non Union; 104 Local and 22 Non-Local.
Shows included in the September count:
- Mud Blue Sky (Aurora Theatre Company)
- Waiting for Lefty (Ubuntu Theater Company) Note: one male character changed to female for this production
- BedPlay (FaultLine Theater)
- Amelie (Berkeley Rep) Note: female music director, female director, 3 male writers – 1 book 1 composor/lyrics 1 lyrics; 2 swings – 1 male 1 female and 8 musicians not included in this count
- The Country House (TheatreWorks)
- Tenderly: The Rosemary Clooney Musical (Center REP) Note: female director, male music director, 2 writers – one male, one female, music is pop standards by a variety of writers, not written specifically for this musical
- Between Riverside and Crazy (American Conservatory Theater) Note: 3 understudies, 2 male (union), 1 female (non-union) not included in this count
- In Plain Sight (Those Women Productions) Note: 5 female playwrights, 2 female directors, 1 male director
- For the Love of Comrades (New Conservatory Theatre Center) Note: two women are credited with ‘additional script development’ but not included in this count
- Eurydice (Shotgun Players)
- This is Our Youth (Custom Made Theater Company)
- Moments of Truth (3Girls Theatre Company) Note: male director and male music director; female book writer, female music/lyrics
- Richard III (Marin Shakespeare Company)
- Much Ado About Nothing (TheatreFirst)
- King Lear (California Shakespeare Theater)
Thank you so very much to the audience members, cast members, writers and theater company staff, who used the Counting Actors form to contribute show info this month, including Matt Weimer, Karen Thomson Hall, Elena Wright, Phoebe Moyer, Carla Pantoja, Carol Lashof, Sofia Ahmad, Tamar Cohn and Patricia Milton.
Please share these numbers with your colleagues and use them to start conversations on rehearsal breaks, at half hour, or after strike. If you’re seeing or working on a show with October performances, go here to learn how to share the info with the project. It’s a quick and easy form that takes less than five minutes to fill out!
Want some bigger picture info? On April 28, 2015 as part of this year’s international celebration of Support Women Artists Now Day/SWAN Day, the Counting Actors project released ‘Not Even, A Gender Analysis of 500 San Francisco/Bay Area Theatrical Productions 2011-2014 from the Counting Actors Project’.
An article about the report, including links to report graphics, key findings and raw data, can be found here. Please read and share the report as well.
This report was commissioned by WomenArts , a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing the visibility and employment of women artists in all art forms. As part of its mission, WomenArts maintains a Women’s Employment in the Arts webpage, which has links to studies of women’s employment in various art forms.
Statistics for October will go up between November 1st and November 5th.