The Counting Actors Project is managed by Bay Area actor Valerie Weak, and began in June 2011 on her own blog. Works by Women San Francisco began hosting the project in February 2014. The archive of all past posts can be found here. General information about the project, as well as selection criteria for shows and a show submission form are here.
You may also be interested in reading Not Even, A Gender Analysis of 500 San Francisco/Bay Area Theatrical Productions 2011-2014 from the Counting Actors Project. The report was commissioned by WomenArts, a non-profit dedicated to increasing the visibility and employment of women artists in all art forms. As part of its mission, WomenArts maintains a Women’s Employment in the Arts webpage that has links to additional studies of women’s employment in the arts.
June’s count includes 17 shows, bringing the total shows counted by the project to 613 shows. This post is going up a little bit late because of the holiday weekend and family vacations.
Here are the stats:
Playwrights = 29; 4 women and 25 men.
Directors = 22; 9 women and 13 men.
Union Actors = 69; 32 women and 37 men.
Non-Union Actors = 81; 46 women and 35 men.
Total Actors = 150: 78 women and 72 men; 69 Union and 81 Non Union; 128 Local and 22 Non-Local.
Shows included in the June count:
- Anything Goes (CenterREP) Note: male director, male music director, 7 male writers – 4 original book, 2 updated book, 1 music/lyrics
- Tally’s Folly (Aurora Theatre Company)
- A Little Night Music (American Conservatory Theater) Note: male director, male music director, male writer book, male writer music/lyrics, 1 male, 2 female understudies, all union, not included in this count
- Love and Information (American Conservatory Theater) 4 understudies, 2m, 2f; this is the inaugural production for ACT’s 2nd stage space
- Heart Shaped Nebula (Shotgun Players)
- The Birthday Party (Off Broadway West)
- Moon Over Buffalo (Town Hall Theatre Company)
- Fallen Angels (TheatreWorks)
- The Skin of Our Teeth (Douglas Morrisson Theatre)
- Delano (Magic Theater)
- Choir Boy (Marin Theatre Company)
- The Clean House (Ross Valley Players)
- The Addams Family (San Jose Stage Company) Note: male director female music director, 2 male writers for book 1 male writer for music/lyrics
- Fancy Nancy The Musical (Bay Area Children’s Theatre) Note: female director, male music director, female writer book/lyrics male writer music/lyrics
- Twelfth Night (California Shakespeare Theater) Note: male actor played Feste, remainder of roles played by female actors
- Chinglish (Palo Alto Players)
- Grey Gardens (Custom Made) Note: male director, male music director, 3 male writers of book, music and lyrics
A great big thank you to the audience members, and cast members, who used the Counting Actors form to contribute show info this month, including Sofia Ahmad, Lily Tung Crystal, Matt Weimer, Brian Herndon, Cassidy Brown, Tamar Cohn, Radhika Rao, Emilie Talbot, Anne Hallinan and Heather Kellogg.
Please share these numbers and use them to start conversations, whether that’s on social media or in the green room. If you’re seeing or working on a show with July performances, go here to learn how to share the info with the project. It takes 5 minutes and I would especially appreciate your help this month as I’m rehearsing one project and performing another, so have very few free nights to see shows!
Statistics for July will go up between August 1st and August 5th.