The Counting Actors Project is managed by Bay Area actor Valerie Weak, and began in June 2011 on her own blog. Works by Women San Francisco began hosting the project in February 2014. The archive of all past posts can be found here.
General information about the project, as well as selection criteria for shows and a show submission form are here.
May’s count includes 17 shows, bringing the total shows counted by the project to 596 shows. Here are the stats:
Playwrights = 23; 7 women and 16 men
Directors = 24; 15 women and 9 men
Union Actors = 44; 21 women and 23 men
Non-Union Actors = 87; 39 women and 48 men
Total Actors = 131: 60 women and 71 men; 44 Union and 87 Non Union; 120 Local and 11 Non-Local
Shows included in the May count:
- Trouble Cometh (San Francisco Playhouse)
- Mount Misery (Cutting Ball Theater)
- Empty Nesters (Playground & Virago Theatre Company)
- Ondine (We Players)
- Glengarry Glen Ross (TheatreFirst)
- Best of Playground 2015 (Playground) Note: an evening of six short plays, 3 female playwrights, 3 male playwrights, 3 female directors, 3 male directors
- Hella Love Oakland (Playground & Hella Love Productions)
- Compleat Female Stage Beauty (New Conservatory Theatre Center)
- Amen Corner (AlterTheater)
- Isfahan Blues (Golden Thread Productions)
- The Yellow Wallpaper (CentralWorks) Note: onstage musician not included in this count
- One Man, Two Guv’nors (Berkeley Repertory Theatre) Note: onstage band not included in this count; one female non-union actor counted here is uncredited in program because plays role of audience plant; male playwright and male songwriter included in writer count, male director and male music director included in director count
- Hookman (Encore Theatre & Z Space)
- Trailer Park Gods (Faultline Theater)
- Where’s Charley? (42nd Street Moon) Note: male writer book/lyrics, male writer script, female director, female music director
- H20 (Aluminous Collective) Note: playwright for this piece not included in playwright count – anonymous playwright who uses female pseudonym of Jane Martin, speculated by many to be a male writer or a male/female team
- Elephant Man (Circle of Life Theater)
A great big thank you to the audience members, and cast members, who used the Counting Actors form to contribute show info this month, including Matt Weimer, Nathanial Justiniano, Patricia Milton, Robert Lundy-Paine, Anne Hallinan, Michael Barrett Austin, Jeunee Simon and Scott Ragle.
Please share these numbers and use them to start conversations, whether that’s on social media or in the green room. If you’re seeing or working on a show with June performances, go here to learn how to share the info with the project. It takes 5 minutes!
On April 28, 2015 as part of this year’s international celebration of Support Women Artists Now Day/SWAN Day, the Counting Actors project released ‘Not Even, A Gender Analysis of 500 San Francisco/Bay Area Theatrical Productions 2011-2014 from the Counting Actors Project’.
An article about the report, including links to report graphics, key findings and raw data, can be found here. Please read and share the report as well.
This report was commissioned by WomenArts , a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing the visibility and employment of women artists in all art forms. As part of its mission, WomenArts maintains a , which has links to studies of women’s employment in various art forms.
Statistics for June will go up between July 1st and July 5th.