The Counting Actors Project is managed by Bay Area actor Valerie Weak, and began in June 2011 on her own blog. Works by Women San Francisco began hosting the project in February 2014. The archive of all past posts can be found here.
General information about the project, as well as selection criteria for shows and a show submission form are here.
November’s count includes 16 shows, bringing the total shows counted by the project to 512 shows. I’m excited to reach the 500 show milestone and very pleased to announce that WomenArts will partner with the Counting Actors Project to compile a report that will examine cumulative data on these first 500 shows.
The report will be released on March 28, 2015 as part of this year’s international celebration of Support Women Artists Now Day/SWAN Day. WomenArts is a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing the visibility and employment of women artists in all art forms. As part of its mission, WomenArts maintains a Women’s Employment in the Arts webpage, which has links to studies of women’s employment in various art forms.
Here are the stats:
Playwrights = 16; 5 women and 11 men.
Directors = 16; 9 women and 7 men.
Union Actors = 33; 16 women and 17 men.
Non-Union Actors = 47; 20 women and 27 men.
Total Actors = 80; 36 women and 44 men; 33 Union and 47 Non Union; 76 Local and 4 Non-Local.
Shows included in the November count:
- Breakfast with Mugabe (Aurora Theatre Company)
- The Totalitarians (Z Space)
- 77% (SF Playhouse), Note: this is a Sandbox Series production, not on the mainstage
- And I and You (Magic Theatre)
- Othello (Arabian Shakespeare Festival)
- 3 Tall Women (Custom Made Theatre Company)
- Ego & Insufficiency (Z Space), Note: these two plays were produced in rep with same playwright and director for both; 2 actors in both, remaining 6 actors only in 1 of 2 plays
- The Boyfriend (42nd St Moon), Note: male music director, female director, one male writer for book/lyrics/music
- True West (Theater MadCap)
- Shakespeare’s R&J (New Conservatory Theatre Center)
- Dragon Play (Impact Theatre)
- In From the Cold (Just Theater) Note: full disclosure – director of this project is WWSF’s Christine Young
- Testament (American Conservatory Theater)
- Delicate Particle Logic (Indra’s Net Theater)
- Redwolf (Ragged Wing Ensemble)
Thank you to all of this month’s contributors, who are audience members, cast members, and producers. They include: Matt Weimer, Carol Lashof, Anne Hallinan, Terry Bamberger, Jon Tracy, Siobhan Doherty, Sofia Ahmad, Lizzie Calogero, Cindy Goldfield and Lisa Drostova. Thank you to all contributors who have helped the project reach 500 shows!!
Please help amplify the message of this post by sharing these numbers with your friends and colleagues and using them to start conversations, whether that’s on social media or in the green room, or with your fellow audience members. If you’re seeing or working on a show with December performances, go here to learn how to share the info with the project. With our online form, It takes just a few minutes!
Statistics for December will go up between January 1st and January 5th. Thank you for reading and thank you for your continued support of the project.