The Counting Actors Project is managed by Bay Area actor Valerie Weak, and began in June 2011 on her own blog. Works by Women San Francisco began hosting the project in February 2014. The archive of all past posts can be found here.
General information about the project, as well as selection criteria for shows and a show submission form are here.
October’s count includes 17 shows, bringing the total shows counted by the project to 496 shows. Here are the stats:
Playwrights = 21; 3 women and 18 men.
Directors = 20; 3 women and 17 men.
Union Actors = 32; 14 women and 18 men.
Non-Union Actors = 106; 46 women and 60 men.
Total Actors = 138; 60 women and 78 men; 32 Union and 106 Non Union; 129 Local and 9 Non-Local.
Shows included in the October count:
- The Tempest (African-American Shakespeare Company)
- Harry Thaw Hates Everybody (Shotgun Players)
- Die Mommie Die (New Conservatory Theatre Center), Note: as per custom in Charles Busch plays, leading female character is played by male actor
- Deathtrap (Center REP Theatre Company)
- Chamber Macbeth (Rapid Descent Physical Performance Company), Note: 3 musicians included in actor count; F director, M music director
- Noises Off (Shelton Theater)
- Party People (Berkeley Rep), Note: writing group of 2m 1f for this project, writers also actors
- Sweeney Todd (TheatreWorks), Note: male director and music director; 2 male writers – one music/lyrics one book; 5 cast members in chorus roles are ‘Artistic Engagement Interns’ with TheatreWorks
- Yeast Nation (Ray of Light Theatre), Note: male director and music director; 2 male writers – one music/lyrics one book/lyrics
- Recipe (Central Works)
- Pastorella (No Nude Men Productions),
- Slaughter House Five (Custom Made Theatre), Note: cast includes 2 boys alternating in kid role, both are counted. F actors played both male and female characters
- The Whale (Marin Theatre Company)
- Ransom, Texas (Virago Theatre Company)
- Cock (Impact Theatre)
- Un-Hinged (Wily West Productions)
- Drowning Kate (Wily West Productions)
Thank you to all of this month’s contributors, who are audience members, cast members, and producers. They include: Michael Gene Sullivan, Maria Leigh, Radhika Rao, Matt Weimer, Marissa Skudlarek, Rosie Hallett, Carol Lashof, Karen Thomson Hall, Anne Hallinan, Terry Bamberger, and Laylah Muran de Assereto. Without contributions, this project would not have the scope that it does, so thanks to all, and a special thanks to those who have contributed regularly over multiple months and years!
Please help amplify the message of this post by sharing these numbers with your friends and colleagues and using them to start conversations, whether that’s on social media or in the green room, or with your fellow audience members. If you’re seeing or working on a show with November performances, go here to learn how to share the info with the project. With our online form, It takes just a few minutes!
Statistics for November will go up between December 1st and December 5th. Thank you for reading and thank you for your continued support of the project.