This is the third month that Works by Women San Francisco has hosted the Counting Actors Project, created and managed by Bay Area actor Valerie Weak. This project began in June 2011 and the archive of past posts can be found here but will shortly be migrated to the WWSF site. For those who have followed this project from the SF Bay Area Actor blog, thanks for making the journey. Our hope is that by moving the project to the WWSF blog it will have a wider reach and lead to even more conversation about issues of representation in Bay Area theater.
For general information about the project including selection criteria and info about how to submit a show for inclusion in the project, please go here.
April’s count includes 15 shows, bringing the total shows counted by the project to 407 shows. Here are the stats:
Playwrights = 33; 9 women and 24 men.
Directors = 16; 6 women and 10 men.
Union Actors = 39; 12 women and 27 men.
Non-Union Actors = 52; 25 women and 27 men.
Total Actors = 91; 37 women and 54 men; 39 Union and 52 Non Union; 83 Local and 8 Non-Local.
Shows included in the April count:
- Tribes (Berkeley Repertory Theatre)
- Salvage (Shotgun Players), Note: actors for this show include 6 kids who split performances of 3 roles, 4 girls and 2 boys).
- Baba(AlterTheater), Note: actor for this show is also writer and plays both male and female characters.
- Vampire Lesbians of Sodom (Virago Theatre Company), Note: lots of cross-gender work on this one.
- Tale of Sleeping Cutie (Off the Cliff and Playground), Note: female director, male music director, female book/lyrics writer, male composer)
- Two Chairs (Performers Under Stress), Note: this show has 2 different 2 actor casts, all 4 actors are included in the count.
- Venus in Fur (American Conservatory Theater), Note: 2 understudies [1 f, 1 m], both union and local not included in the count above).
- Hound of the Baskervilles (TheatreWorks), Note: 2 playwrights on this script
- Sleuth (Center REP Theatre Company), Note: show program and publicity materials include 3 fake actors – cast total is actually only 2 people.
- Wittenberg (Aurora Theatre Company)
- Bread and Circuses (Impact Theatre), Note: and evening of shorts by 9 different playwrights, 7 male and 2 female.
- Every Five Minutes(Magic Theatre)
- Standing on Ceremony (New Conservatory Theatre Center), Note: an evening of shorts by 8 different playwrights, 6 male and 2 female playwrights. One male playwright has 2 pieces in the program.
- Game On (San Jose Repertory Theatre)
- Bauer (San Francisco Playhouse)
Much gratitude and thanks to the audience members and theater company members who took a few minutes to send an email with show info, including Sheila Devitt, Karen Thomson Hall, Anne Hallinan, Carol Lashof, Matt Weimer, Marissa Skudlarek, Patricia Milton, Evelyn Jean Pine and Jeanette Harrison.
Please share these numbers and use them to start conversations, whether that’s on social media or in the green room. If you’re seeing or working on a show with May performances, go here to learn how to share the info with the project. It takes 5 minutes!
Statistics for May will go up between June 1st and June 5th. Also looking into some more detailed analysis now that the project is approaching its 3 year anniversary – stay tuned!