A huge thank you to DivaFest and everyone who came out for last weekend’s Symposium event! Though nothing specific is on the books, I’m sure that more events like this one will be forthcoming, and I’ll share them when I have more info.
In a slightly different vein, the Union Women Actors Coalition (UWAC) is presenting a 36 Hour Playfest/Benefit on June 24th, 8pm curtain. UWAC was formed to both draw attention to lack of gender parity for Equity women and to showcase the Equity women of the Bay Area. The 36 Hour Playfest will feature over 30 Equity women as actors, directors and writers in new plays written specifically for the Playfest. All proceeds from the event will benefit the extraordinary non-profit San Francisco Safehouse, a unique 18 month residential program for homeless women leaving prostitution. There’s more info here, and you can (and should!) purchase tickets here. The event has limited seating and will probably sell out. I’m excited to be acting in this event.
Since June 2011, the Counting Actors project has now counted 273 shows! For more info on the project, visit this blog’s Counting Actors page.
11 shows counted:
- Indra’s Net/Copenhagen
- Douglas Morrison/Eurydice (all 3 Stones played by women; usual casting is 2m, 1w)
- Center REP/Pilgrims Shari and Musa in the New World
- Center REP/Sweet Charity (male music director, female director, 3 credited writers – 2 men for boo & music, one woman for lyrics)
- Shotgun/By and By
- DivaFest/You’re Going to Bleed
- Butterfield 8/Salome
- Central Works/Medea Hypothesis
- ACT/Black Watch (all Scottish cast are counted as union actors, although not members of AEA, they are appearing with AEA’s permission)
- SF Playhouse/Abigail’s Party
- 7 male directors, 5 female directors
- 8 male writers, 5 female writers
- 76 total actors
- 41 men, 35 women
- 33 union, 43 non-union
- 23 union men, 10 union women
- 64 local, 12 non local
I’ve got a few stats already for shows that won’t open until June, given to me by folks working on them – I’m always happy to accept stats for shows happening in the future, but don’t accept them for shows from the previous month. It takes just 5 minutes to send the email – so if you’re working on a show or see a show with performances in June, please visit the Counting Actors page for instructions on how to share the data.
As always, please share and talk about these numbers with others.