Here are the stats on the 11 shows counted in April. To learn more about this project, including how to contribute, visit this page. To read all the posts in this series, going back to June 2011, go here.
11 shows counted:
- Berkeley Rep/Red
- ACT/Maple and Vine (not included in the count below are 3 local union understudies, 2 m, 1w)
- Ross Valley Players/Harmony in Hiding
- AlterTheater/References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot (in this production a woman played a young boy character)
- Magic/Any Given Day
- Instrumental Theater/A Game (this production is part of the BOA Festival)
- MTC/Othello (in this production, Bianca and Emilia were given some lines usually assigned to minor male characters)
- TheatreWorks/Of Mice and Men
- 8 male directors, 3 female directors
- 10 male writers, 1 female writer
- 64 total actors: 37 men, 27 women
- 42 union actors, 22 non-union actors
- 32 union men, 11 union women
- 52 local actors, 12 non-local actors
Thank you thank you thank you to all who shared stats with me – audience, theater staff, cast members, show directors, including Lauren Bloom, Anne Hallinan, Amy Prosser, Eva Rebane, Kathleen Antonia and Paul Cello.
The blog post with stats for May will be published between June 1 and June 5.
I do my best to just put up the numbers, and leave emotion out. But I know that seeing these numbers inspires emotional reactions in the reader. If you’ve got a strong reaction to what you’re reading, please share this post with others.