This project began in June 2011 and has counted 86 shows so far. Links to results for past months (as well as how to send in a report in the future) are here.
10 Shows counted:
- Theater Rhino/Two Character Play
- Tides Theater/Waiting for Godot
- ACT/Humor Abuse (although not currently living locally, this is a play about someone who grew up in the Bay Area. There is no writer credited, instead it’s ‘created by the director and the performer’ so I’ve listed them both as writers)
- Berkeley Rep/Ghost Light
- San Jose Rep/Double Indemnity (this play is a co-production w/A Contemporary Theatre in Seattle, and so the local actors from here also did the show up there)
- Palo Alto Players/Give ‘Em Hell Harry
- Custom Made/Little Brother (writer and director are the same person)
- Julia Morgan Project/Becoming Julia Morgan
- Word for Word & Z Space/Food Stories (the two writers on this piece are fiction writers, not playwrights; this company presents short fiction on stage)
- TheatreWorks/The Pitmen Painters
- 5 female directors, 5 male directors
- 3 female writers, 9 male writers
- 46 total actors: 33 men, 13 women
- 30 Equity actors, 16 Non-equity actors
- 22 Equity men, 8 Equity women
- 33 local actors, 13 non-local actors
I’m happy to take info for February and beyond – if you’re working on a show or see a show with performances in February, please visit the Counting Actors page, and take a few minutes to send me the stats.
Also, if you think these results are interesting or worth sharing, please repost, link, tweet, + or update your status accordingly.
February’s a short month, but there are a lot of shows opening then. Look for the Feb results between March 1st and 5th.